Intermittent fasting is a form of eating where you eat a particular time and fast some times, depending of the type you choose to embark upon. There are pockets of health benefits associated with intermittent fasting, seven of which are listed below;
1. Loss of weight: The fact still remains that many people who embark of intermittent fasting are doing so for weight reduction basically. This is true as the fasting period helps in enhancing the hormonal functions to facilitate weight loss. This is possible as the lower insulin levels and higher growth hormone levels obtainable in a fasting person’s system are responsible for the breakdown in body fat and its usage for energy generation. This is actually in collaboration with the study that says, short term fasting increases the metabolic rate by 3.6 – 14 %.
2. Reduced chances of Type 2 Diabetes: Type 2 diabetes has become a household name in the present days. The major feature of type 2 diabetes is high blood pressure in respect to the insulin resistance. Just like it is established that anything that reduces the resistance of insulin will lower the blood sugar levels and guide against the type 2 diabetes. The good news is fasting has been reported to boost the insulin resistance while leading to drastic reduction in the blood sugar levels. About 3-6 % blood sugar has been reportedly reduced in the blood level sugar of a fasting person.
3. Reduced Inflammation and Oxidative Stress: One of the surest ways to aging and some chronic disease is to be suffering from excess oxidative stress. Oxidative stress happens when free radicals or unstable molecules in the body are reacting with some other important molecules such as DNA and protein and destroy them. Many recent studies have reported interestingly that, intermittent fasting enhances fight against inflammation and free radicals.
4. Improved Heart’s Health: Any disease related to the heart is a grave one, as it is one of the deadliest diseases an individual can ever face. Intermittent fasting has now come to the rescue, as many reports have suggested that it helps in improving the heart’s health without complication. The possible cholesterol accumulation that may cause a disease condition called atherosclerosis is prevented while fasting.
5. Induced Cellular Repair Processes: There is a process of repair called autophagy the body of a fasting person undergoes. It involves the breaking down of cells and how broken and dysfunctional proteins are metabolized inside the cell after a long period of time. Autophagy is an important process in protecting and individual from cancer and Alzheimer diseases and this is achievable only when you are on intermittent fasting.
6. Brain Food: There is no doubt that what is good for the body will surely be good for the brain too. This is so true when it comes to intermittent fasting too, it improves many metabolic features recognized to be useful to the brain health. A study conducted recently showed that a fasting person grows more nerves cells which in turns benefit the brain. Intermittent fasting also increases the level of brain hormone called brain-derived neurotrophic factor. The deficiency of this could lead to depression or some irreparable damage to the brain.
7. Increased Life-Span: Intermittent fasting increases an individual’s life if done with care of cautions. One of the most important things about intermittent fasting is its ability to prolong lifespan. It is revealed in a study conducted with rats that intermittent fasting increases the lifespan of rat kept on restricted calories intermittently. Hence, intermittently fasting is now a household name in the ranks of aged crowds. .
Finally, fasting is a great way to improving an individual’s health in many ways, as such give it a try today and you will be glad you did.